1. Moths are overall just weird.
"Moths will vibrate their genitals as a way to prevent bats from locating them"
2. I can't even explain how this makes me feel.
"The entire Universe outside our galaxy could have completely disappeared over 20,000 years ago and we still wouldn't know it yet. Our view of the Universe is actually what it looked like anywhere from thousands to Billions of years ago -with no way to see what it actually looks like "right now".
Imagine if you looked out your front window and saw your yard as it was 6 months ago, neighbors house across the street a year ago, and houses a block or two away as they were several years ago. Also off in the distance you see the glaciers from the last ice age.
That's what it's like looking out at the Universe."
[ ADVERTISEMENT ]
3. This is a different perspective.
"The phrase "shoot for the moon. If you miss you'll land amongst the stars."
The next nearest star is 4.3 light years away. If you miss the moon, you're absolutely f****d"
4. What even is this though.
"A Rat King happens when multiple rats become congealed together in a tangle of tails, dirt, hair and blood."
5. This is pretty scary.
"If you die while late into a pregnancy the build up of bodily gases can push the dead foetus out of your body. Its called postmortem fetal extrusion."
6. Rabies is very scary.
7. Just going to the store to buy some nutmeg.
8. Oooo, I wonder if it's still out there.
"There was a series of movies during the 1980s called the “Guinea Pig” films that were so gory that the director of the movies was actually investigated by the cops and had to show how he did the effects"
9. This is pretty interesting.
"In medieval times, diabetes was known as the honey sickness and to test for it a physician would have to taste your urine."
10. Oh no thank you.
"Christopher Mintz-Plasse's mom had to be on set during the filming of his (attempted) sex scene in *Superbad* because he was only 17 at the time it was being filmed."
11. Guess they're not that cute anymore.
"Meerkats are adorable creatures. They even started in a show called Meerkat Manor.
But they are, by far, the most murderous species of any animal, killing more of their own species with greater frequency than any other animal"
12. Yet another fact I didn't need to know.
13. This is so weird I wonder why they react that way.
"Chimpanzees just flat out love to eat monkeys. They love it so much they’ve feasted on certain breeds to local extinction.
Always found this mildly (moderately) disturbing because of the similarities in the species, like if wolves sought after puppies."
14. Octopi are just really weird.
15. Well then.
16. This is insane.
"When a male lion takes over a pride he will engage in infanticide and kill (and/or eat) all of the cubs that the previous male breed.
I know more disturbing facts than I care to admit."
17. Well that's one way to do it.
18. It is quite common.
19. This is disgusting but true.
20. Well this is unnecessarily aggressive.
"Male giraffes will headbutt a female in the bladder until she urinates, then it tastes the pee to helps it determine whether the female is ovulating."
21. This is actually really interesting.
"There's a condition in which people become blind, but deny their blindness. The brain creates false perceptions to fill in for the lack of sight.
It's called the Anton Syndrome"
22. Well that's a fact that I'll never forget.
23. This is honestly extremely sad to even think about.
"The rescue dogs from ground zero on 9/11 developed PTSD and needed therapy afterward because there were so few survivors and so many dead recovered that they thought they'd screwed everything up and done a bad job."
24. This literally sounds insane, but I guess there wouldn't be much you can do.
"If Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin got stuck on the moon the official policy was to cut communication and let them suffocate in silence, Nixon even had a speech prepared in case this happened."
25. This is so sad to think about.
26. This is so creepy.
"In infants, their adult teeth are behind their eyes"
27. This is such a random fact.
28. Now I need to know if anyone has ever heard a bunny scream.
29. This is a visual I didn't need.
"When you're cremated, your teeth explode from the heat."
30. Imagine being licked to death.
31. A fact that I didn't need to know.
"Dolphins can and will pick stuff up and move it around using their penises"
32. I feel like this one needs to be fact checked.
33. This is because she was a teenager which makes this extremely normal.
34. This is something that really puts that into perspective.
"If we held a minute of silence for every victim of the holocaust we will be silent for eleven and a half years."
35. This is one of the many problems in entertainment.
"Snow White is 14 years old, and Walt Disney instructed animators to make her look "old enough to marry"."
Well, this is some list, we have to admit that. Some of these disturbing facts are really wild, while others are somewhat common to know.
Either way, we're sure you probably learned a couple of new things while scrolling through this post. Let us know if you have any disturbing facts to add to this list.