An average car has up to 30,000 parts. So many things that may go wrong. And so about 30,000 more than an average user can maintain. Luckily, we have mechanics.
And they can fix everything. Unfortunately, we believe they are almighty and take our cars to the repair shops at the last moment. And sometimes even months after that "last moment" has passed.
It's unbelievable how people allow their cars to become such hazards on wheels (when they have them). Is it a money shortage, ignorance, or pure neglect? There is no rule. But one thing is sure – mechanics are heroes.
A Reddit thread r/JustRolledIntoTheShop is dedicated to such situations. It's all about "those absolutely stupid things" that people bring to the repair shops.
2. "Just Pulled This Out Of A Customers Car Between The Grill And Condenser"
3. "I Think My Boss May Be Compensating For Something With His New Toolbox"
4. "The Car Sounds Like A Cartoon"
5. "Says Didn't Have A Spare, Drove For 3 Days! I Found The Spare In The Trunk Complete With Jack!"
6. "The Odds Of A Single 4 Leaf Clover Rooting Into A Fender Line"
7. "Customer States Temperature Gauge Is Reading Full Tank"
8. "Private Security Tahoe With 1” Bulletproof Glass. The Rest Of The Vehicle Is Just As Heavily Armored"
9. "Just In For An Inspection & Was Greeted With This..."
11. "16 Years Of Writing Service And It Finally Happened. Gloves In A Glovebox"
12. "I Replaced A Battery Last Week In A Customers Car And She Is Trying To Claim The Battery Is Causing Weird Things To Happen To Her Car Now. This Morning, She Said The Red Line Was Never There Before The Battery Was Replaced And Wants A Refund. Lord Help Me"
13. "Lexus In To Pick Up Some Brake Pads"
14. "Rental Car Came Back Like This "Had A Plane To Catch"
15. "A Girl Who Works At Sonic Just Paid Her 1k Repair Bill With Mostly 1's And 5's. Mad Resolve"
16. "The Only Worthwhile Lift Kit Instructions"
17. "Customer Failed To Mention The Fact That His Dog Was In The Vehicle, Scared The Hell Outta Me"
18. "Surprised It Didn’t Explode Into The Shop"
19. "Hood Opens. Hood Is Layed Down Immediately. Tech Exclaims "Oh Hell No.""
20. "86 Yota. 211k Miles. In Mint Condition"
21. "I Work At A Rental Company And The Police Brought This Back..."
22. "Customer Has Been Coming Since 200k Miles, Said He'd Get To 1 Million. I've Been Waiting For That Day For Years, Today He Casually Rolled Up And Asked To Plug His Tire, Needless To Say Best Tire Plug Ever"
23. "Which Car Has The Worst Battery Location?"
24. "Work Never Fails To Disappoint"
25. "I Dont Condone Stealing... But Man I Want To"
26. "The First And Probably Last Time I Will Ever See One Of These. Jaguar Xj220 With Only 3k On The Odometer"
27. "Customer Was Wondering Why When He Started His Car This Morning, It Sounded Different. He Didn't Understand It When I Told Him He Had Been Robbed"
28. "Self Aware Prius Owner"
Recent research of 2,000 American car owners recorded that as many as 25% believe they take a risk every time they go on the road because their vehicle is not running well and needs repair.
The survey asked people about the current state of their car and tested what they know about cars. The results were alarming- 68% said their vehicles at this time have at least one thing that needs to be repaired.
With so many vehicles needing repair and maintenance, Americans should consider brushing up their knowledge about proper maintenance a bit. 36 percent of the research participants confessed they don’t know how to change a tire.
29. "Stayed A Little Longer At The Shop To Save This Little Guy From Someone’s Engine Bay"
30. "Customer: "Let Me Know When You Are About To Pull My Truck In So I Can Get My Raccoon" And He Sat In The Lobby With A Raccoon Until His Truck Was Done"
31. "In Case You’ve Ever Wondered That The Undercarriage Of A Tesla Looked Like"
32. "Had An Interesting Tailgate Come In Today"
33. "A Sweet Old Lady Asked Me To Apply Her 2018 License Plate Decal Today As She Couldn't Kneel Down To Do It Herself Anymore"
The survey was conducted by Cooper Tires. It found that nearly 50% of American car owners feel they couldn't change the oil in their car, and almost 30% think they couldn't even buy the proper oil for it.
25% of Americans don't think they could jump-start their car. 20% of the car users can't even check the tire pressure.
"Although many Americans have a lack of confidence and knowledge when it comes to vehicle maintenance, it's important to plan ahead and take the initiative," Jessica Egerton, director of marketing for Cooper Tires, said.
"Don't wait until there is an issue with a vehicle. It's why Cooper Tires is passionate about helping educate and empower car owners across the country."
34. "They Told Me Someone Was Dropping Off Their BBQ For Me To Do Brakes And Bearings On. I Thought They Were Joking, They Were Not"
35. "When I Saw This I Told Her It Wasn't Going To Be Cheep"
36. "An Actual "Key" Supplied By A Customer"
37. "Sorry Officer I Didn't Know How Fast I Was Going"
38. "Actual Work Order At Our Shop From One Of Our Technicians"
39. "Refused All 4 Tires On A Rainy Day, She Also Had To Sign A Waiver Before Releasing The Car"
40. "Guy Drove In Like This. Another Reason Why We Are Essential"
41. "Just Crawled Out From Under A Broken Lift"
43. "Customer States "I Played Edm Once And Now My Car Won't Stop Pretending It's At A Rave"
44. "Customer Stated He Needed A Punctured Tyre Repaired, Had To Tell Him He Was Screwed"
45. "C/S Lost His Keys... I Wonder Why"
46. "This Made Me Laugh Way More Than It Should Have"
47. "This Little Girl Helped Me Check Codes In Her Owner’s Car Today. Good Girl"
48. "7 Months Since The Last Post About This Car... He Finally Did It. Our Customer Bought This Civic New In 06 And It Has Only Been Serviced At Our Dealership. Original Motor And Transmission"
49. "Accerlator Gets Stuck To Floor. Pull On String To Unstick"
50. "C/S She Hears A Flapping Noise Coming From The Driver's Side"